Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Made an engine decision.

When I first started the project I wanted to put an 8valve 1.8 Digifant (PB) from a Golf Mk2 GTI in to replace the little 1.1 that the car came with (which must have got offended by its impending removal, as it now refuses to start!). I already have 16v in my Mk2 valver and I thought it would be nice to have one of each engine type.

As time as gone on though and I've been reading up on other peoples conversions I started to favour the 16v K-Jetronic from the Golf Mk2 GTI 16v instead. This option is more comfortable, as I already have a reference engine sitting in my daily driver and there are more examples of this conversion to be found online.

The idea of a G40 engine, which would have been lovely, was quickly dropped when I found out just how rare (read expensive) they are :( .

My mind was made up however when I learnt of a 8v Digifant being sold near to me. I decided to leave my comfort zone (as I am not at all familiar with this engine) and get it. Being local it only cost me £10 in petrol to go and collect. So I now have an engine, unfortunately the loom has been hacked up to remove it in a hurry and the Crankcase pressure regulator valve is missing (£31 + vat from ECP).

The 8v produces 105BHP (I think) but as its an electronic fuel injection system it means that I have the option later of either chipping it to improve performance or fitting a custom ecu such as megasquirt to release a few more beans. I also plan to put a decent exhaust and an induction kit on it to squeeze out a little more peformance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home