Sunday, January 29, 2006

Removed the engine.

Spent another full day with the car on Sunday (my better half is being very understanding!). Started off taking a closer look at the new engine & gearbox. The gear box only seems to have 4 positions that can be selected at the moment. I'm not sure if that is normal, or if you should be able to select all six directly at the box without the engine running.

We then took the gearbox off the engine and put them both safely to bed at the back of the garage.

Then it was time to remove the old 1.1 engine from the car. All in all this went pretty smoothly. The the 12 bolts holding on the driveshafts came off with minimal problems, the exhaust manifold was a bit a pain, but within 2 hours we had it out.

The suspension at the front of the car was high before, now its more like a caddy!

I've managed to arrange the garage so there is a reasonable amount of space around the whole car, and I don't expect it to come out again for some time now. Time to get it up on high axle stands and start sorting out the body work!

3 or 5 doors?
For a while I was toying with the idea of welding up the back doors so I could remove the rear bench. I have since come to my senses and am definately going to keep it a 5 door. The question now is whether to shave/smooth all the doors, or to have audi 80 handles on all of them to get the smooth line look without having to have buttons under the wing mirrors for the door openers.

I need to look into wing mirrors to see if I can find one with enough space under for 2 buttons (should be possible). I think the smoothing would be easier than completely changing the mechanism...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home