Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Brake Conversion

This is really just a note to myself to keep info to do with the brakes.

Front Callipers for a 256mm conversion:

Audi 80 quattro (83 to 85)
Audi 90 5-cylinder (85 to 87)
Audi Coupe 5-cylinder (85 to 88
Scirocco 16V (if you can find one !!)

How to tell if they're the right ones:
"Does it have a brake pad wear sensor ? (yes is bad, if no then.......)
Is the disk 256mm diameter ? (if yes then......)
Are the mounting bolts for the caliper (where slider bolts to stub axle) 7.5cm apart from centre of bolt head to centre of bolt head ? (if not they will be more like 9.5cm which is no good, if they are 7.5cm apart then.....)
Take one bolt out from where the caliper slider mounts to the stub axle. Does the threaded part of the bolt fit nicely in a 10mm spanner ? (if no it will be 12mm - no good for a Mk1. If yes then congrats, you've found the right calipers !)
All the calipers I've had have had 'Girling' cast into the tops of them. Many of the 'wrong' Audi ones have VAG stamps, but many of the Girling ones are unsuitable also. Confusing, eh ?!?"
Taken from the Mk1 owners club forums

However these are proving difficult to get your hands on, so apparently (and I need to check this) Mk2 GTI 8v calipers will go straight onto the mk1. I've got a set, so I'll offer them up and see if they fit. Although it wont be 256mm, it should be ok with the 16v servo and master cylinder. then I can keep my eye out for the above 256mm calipers and change them later. WRONG! - although the spacing for the retaining bolts is the same, the carriers for the caliper on the mk2 two brakes are built into the hub (on the ones I have anyway) and the mk2 hubs are too different to the mk1. So it looks like I am looking for the 256mm ones again. I need to make sure the small block mk1 front hubs are the same as the mk1 gti's
HOWEVER! - you can get carriers seperately so I need to keep my eye out for these, I think I can get them from a cabby or a mk1 gti, or ?caddy?

Other Stuff
16v Servo
Plate from a 16v between the servo and the bulkhead
Reduce the length of the threaded bit on the end of the servo
Master Cylinder
felt seals for the linkage

Got all this from Carbs resto on the mk1 owners club forum.

Rear Brake Refurb...
The rear brakes are rusted to hell and back (see a post below) so I want to replace the rear drums completely:
Back Plates (part no.s
NSR 6N0609425A, OSR 6N0609426A)
Drums
Wheel Cylinders (mk 3)
Adjusters
Shoe Fitting Kit
Shoes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home